As a freight sales agent, it can sometimes appear that you’re earning the maximum income possible. This may seem to be the case, but it’s actually highly unlikely.
There are a number of ways you can increase your income as a freight sales agent that you may not have thought of!
Here Are All 11 Ways:
- Most agents offer a full truckload service, but not partial truckloads. This will increase your income!
- Margins for a full load are about 10%-20% compared to 20%-35% for a partial truckload.
- Value Over Price
- Many freight agents believe that to win customers and contracts, you have to be charging the lowest price possible. This is wrong. If you offer exactly the service that people are looking for, they’re usually happier to pay the higher price. Remember one of my favorite sayings – “Win on Price, Lose on Price” – bring in extras to provide a better service.
- Clone Yourself
- If you’re truly working to grow your business, there will come a time when you’ll have to employ individuals to assist you and free up your time. It’s important that you pick the right person/people. In addition to picking the right person, find someone who has both the skills to do what must be done as much as sharing your ethical standards and vision for the future.
- Making a profit is directly linked to being productive which therefore is directly linked to be organized. Most people have areas which can be better organized and by delegating, you can concentrate on the things that matter.
- Diversify Your Customer Base
- The greater number of customers you have, the lower the impact if you lose one. Would you rather have a business doing $1 million in sales with 70% of it coming from 3 customers or $1 million in sales with 70% from 10 customers? By diversifying your customers you have more room to grow and the loss of a customer would have less of an impact.
- Negotiate Better
- If you shave off even a tiny bit of cost or add a tiny bit in the profit of a single load, this will make a huge difference in your take home at the end of the month. Just be aware that any time you increase your margins, you WILL make more money!
- Even if you can’t get out of the office, you can network online via social media sites like LinkedIn and Facebook. Simply spending 15 minutes a day can make a massive difference.
- Referrals are one of the easiest ways of getting the best customers. Don’t limit asking for referrals to just customers. Smart freight sales agents get Carrier and Employee referrals as well.
- Continually Build your Contact List
- My saying is this: “They who have the most contacts and communicates with them effectively, WINS!”. Whether you’re getting in touch via networking, referrals or social media, always continue to build your contact list.
- New technology gives us a chance to be more productive and gain more information. With advanced technology, freight sales agents move more freight with less issues – ultimately giving them more income.
- Create Raving Fans
- By creating a set of raving fans – people who are so happy with your service that they will unknowingly market your business – you’ll become an authority on freight meaning that customers will come straight to you!
As a freight sales agent, there are many things that you can do to increase your income. By following these steps, you can see your profits rise like you never imagined!