Freight Sales Success Is In The Details

blog_image_freight_sales_success_is_in_the_details_250

When you’re starting out as a freight sales agent, making effective sales calls is the difference between success and failure. So it’s important that you make them correctly.  It’s not about getting prospects to just come on board, it’s about getting the information you require to give them great service and the best prices.

What’s the key to making a top-class sales call?  While it may appear simple, it most certainly is not. You’ll have to push through rejection and work hard day after day and bounce back from challenges.  As Billionaire Mark Cuban says, “You can make as many mistakes as you like. All that matters is when you get one right”.

85% Of Your Financial Success

A total of 85% of your financial success is due to your personality and your ability to lead, communicate and negotiate.  Only 15% comes from technical knowledge. This goes against what the world tells you; the world says go to school, get a degree and get the knowledge. Unfortunately, this only accounts for 15% of success!  What the world doesn’t teach you is the other 85%: how to communicate, negotiate and lead. Learning this is up to you!

What You must Do When Making A Sales Call

Successful freight sales agents will tell you the key to earning a prospect’s business is making them feel special and therefore not just being the next entry on a long list of sales prospects.  Learn a bit about the business that you’re calling about, be well prepared and remember that “freight agent superstars consistently do what average freight agents don’t or won’t.

Sale Call Information Sheet

Create a Sales Call Information Sheet with the following details about the company that you’re connecting with:

  • Company name
  • Phone number
  • Fax number
  • Main contact name
  • First contact name
  • First contact date
  • Products / Services
  • Important Information
  • Email address
  • Physical address

It’s also a must to have your sales call information sheet available so you can ask all the important questions to your prospects and get all the details you require from them as well. This is the sales script I utilize and also supply to my top-producing freight sales agents:

 SALES CALL INFORMATION SHEET

    • Shipping Please! / Who’s Your Shipping Manager? ______________________
    • (Prospect’s Name), I’m ________________ with _____________________ (Pause)
    • I was referred to you by ___________________ of ___________________ (Pause)  
    • * A REFERRAL “Always” works best when first contacting a Customer *
    • I’ll be real QUICK with just a couple of questions about your Shipping.
      1. I see that You Manufacture / Warehouse / Ship / Sell __________________
      2. Do You or your Customers oversee the freight? Inbound & Outbound?
      3. Do You have a list of Carriers that you’re currently working with?
      4. Do You ever have to look for additional Trucks on your own?
      5. Do You keep your options open to additional Carriers?
      6. At least to see how our prices compare with theirs?
      7. May I email You some information?
      8. What’s Your Email Address?

After getting their email address, finish with these 2 questions below)

      1. What’s a common lane you’re shipping right now?

 PICK UP:                       DELIVER:                  WEIGHT:              MILES:

      1. A) _________________         _________________         _________________       _________
      2. Do You have “Any Freight” you’re working on Today or this Week?
      3. B) _________________         _________________         _________________       _________

Getting your calls right is the most important thing you’ll do in your freight agent profession. By remembering these tips and getting your sales script down to perfection, you’ll make every call count.


5 thoughts on “Freight Sales Success Is In The Details

  1. VERA COMO

    THIS IS A VERY GOOD SCRIPT IT HIT EVERY KEY POINT AND ASK A QUESTION AND START A CONVERSATION. NOT FEELING LIKE A SALES CALL AND SO PITCHY. AND ITS ASKING ALL THE CUSTOMERS NEEDS AND WANTS. FROM PAST EXPERIENCE THIS WILL WORK OUT BECAUSE THEY ARE ALREADY BUSY AND DONT HAV ETIME TO TALK LONG AND THIS SCRIPT CAN ALSO BE ANSWER BY AN GATE KEEPER AS WELL. SO THAT WAY WHEN I DO MY FOLLOW UP CALL I HAVE SOME NOTES AND DONT ASK THE SAME THING AGAIN AND CAN JUST START THE CONVERSATION WHERE IT WAS LAST LEFT OFF CAUSE THE CUSTOMER WILL REMEMBER YOU TRUST

    Reply

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *